HOW TO APPLY FOR A UNITED STATES WORK PERMIT WHILE WAITING FOR YOUR ASYLUM DECISION
There are very strict rules regarding when a person can work once they have applied for Asylum. To begin, you are only allowed to work in the United States under the two conditions listed below.
1. You have been granted asylum or received recommended approval for a grant of asylum.
2. You applied for asylum no less than 180 days ago and have not yet received a final decision on your application.
If you meet either of these requirements and would like to begin working, you must file a Form I-765 Employment Authorization Document (EAD). The document can only be signed after 150 days have passed since the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services received your application. If this document is cleared, you will be allowed to work in the United States for a specified amount of time
HOW CAN I ACCESS THE FORM I-765 EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION DOCUMENT (EAD)?
You can access this form in two ways:
1. Visiting www.uscis.gov under the tab “Forms”
2. Contacting the National Customer Service Center at 1 (800) 375-5283 and asking to have the form sent to you in the mail.
When you submit this form, you will have to supply the following documents:
- A copy of your Form I-94, which is your Arrival / Departure Record
- A copy of your former EAD, or a different government-issued document, such as the following:
State identification card
- Two identical photographs of yourself. These photos must be taken within 30 days of filing your EAD application.
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOU HAVE SUBMITTED THE EAD APPLICATION
You should receive the final decision for your application within 90 days of the USCIS receiving your application. If your application is approved, you will receive you EAD via mail. If the USCIS denies your request, the agency will supply the reason for denial. If this is the case, you’re allowed to submit a motion to reopen or motion to reconsider with the same office that made the decision on your application. In such cases, it is wise to contact an immigration attorney.
WHEN YOUR FUTURE IS AT STAKE, GET THE REPRESENTATION YOU NEED.
At Fisher Legal Group, our New York City immigration lawyers understand how frustrating it can be when you are denied permission to work in the United States. That is why our team is committed to helping others obtain employment and citizenship. We have the resources, technology, and experience to help you and your family.
If you are experiencing trouble with any immigration issues or processes, contact the Fisher Legal Group today!